One method being pretty straightforward; Zoom office hours. Zoom, or anything similar, is typically thought of as a lecture being taught at a specific meeting time online. However, it doesn't have to be this way. Zoom can be a great tool for interacting and collaborating with peers and instructors. Essentially the instructor would have set times throughout the week/month and students can feel free to drop in whenever they please. Nothing is necessarily being taught during these times, and no one is required to go, but it would create a sense of community for students and give them the opportunity to see their peers.
Another great option that I have seen used is a Bitmoji Classroom. My next blog post will show an example of this virtual classroom method. A few of my younger cousins were introduced to this method and seemed to really like it. Bitmoji classroom is a virtual classroom in which instructors can provide learning materials in a fun and unique way. It uses visuals and links to create a place for students to access what they need. I've seen all sorts of things used in Bitmoji Classrooms, including a virtual library, virtual field trip, and even a virtual escape room. It's very interactive and creative, which allows students to have fun learning and feel like part of a community.
A method used quite frequently in higher-level courses is an online discussion board. All of the students enrolled in the class can access and communicate with others' posts in the discussion board. It's a good way to communicate with your peers and can be used in several ways. Some discussion boards are more informational and direct, while others are less structured. Personally, I think the less structured discussion boards are extremely useful in getting to know one another by posting photos and sharing hobbies and activities. Being able to freely discuss with classmates and understand who they are creates a feeling of community and makes it a bit easier to get through an online learning environment.
I personally like the idea of a Bitmoji classroom the best. I'm a very visual person, and I like the idea of creating a virtual 'safe place' for students using different stickers and links. Even incorporating the two other methods I mentioned previously into a Bitmoji Classroom would be a great way to build an online learning community, as it gives multiple options in which students can interact with each other and have a sense of belonging. I think the key to asynchronous learning is having the option to work at your own pace, but not feeling 'alone' in the process.
Hi Leah,
ReplyDeleteI do like that about asynchronous learning, everything is at the individuals own pace which is comforting instead of stressful for the learner. I still need to learn more about Bitmoji. Is there anymore advantages using Bitmoji?
Hey, I think you give great ideas. I also had the idea of zoom I think that is a great platform to use but I didn't think of Bitmoji Classroom. I think that is a great idea. I just learned what that was recently but I think that is a great and fun way to create a relationship in the classroom. I love your ideas and examples. Great Job!
ReplyDelete